Accessibility is not a “nice to have” – with Derek Featherstone
February 18th, 2019
1 hr 4 mins 46 secs
About this Episode
Why do companies de-prioritize accessibility? Making a digital map accessible to the blind. Pros and cons of the straw test. Why simulating a disability is not the same as working with disabled people. Using Twitter threads to prototype book chapters. How diversity (including neurodiversity and diversity of ability) makes for a better product. Changing small habits in your life leads to changing big ones.
Links for this episode:
- Derek Featherstone (@feather) | Twitter
- Level Access - Digital Accessibility Software, Services, Training - Level Access
- Extreme Design by Derek Featherstone—An Event Apart Video
- Accessibility for Web Design
- UX Foundations: Accessibility
- Gucci blackface sweater: Gucci removes $890 "blackface" sweater, apologizes after receiving backlash - CBS News
- Transcript for Big Web Show Episode #184 with Derek Featherstone (MS Word)
- Transcript for Big Web Show Episode #184 with Derek Featherstone (Accessible PDF)
Brought to you by:
Honeybook (Visit Honeybook.com and enter promo code BIGWEBSHOW to get 50% off your first year).
Robinhood (Robinhood is giving you FREE stock like Apple, Ford, or Sprint to help you build your portfolio. Sign up at bigwebshow.robinhood.com).